Behling Simulation Center
The Behling Simulation Center at the State University of New York at Buffalo is a center of excellence with a mission to serve in a position of leadership to foster highly collaborative, interprofessional health sciences education between the students and faculty of the UB Academic Health Sciences Center Schools in the application and use of simulation technologies for the improvement of health care education.
The Center will fulfill this mission through implementing the following core values:
- The simulation center is committed to developing a model interprofessional education curriculum utilizing a variety of simulation methodologies for education, evaluation, and research that will encompass all the AHC schools.
- The primary use of the simulation center is for interprofessional education that involves students from at least two of the AHC schools participating in educational experiences designed to improve interprofessional performance, reduce medical errors and promote competent and excellent patient care management.
- The secondary use of the simulation center is for continued practice of skills and competencies by students from individual professions or departments.
- The simulation experiences will be facilitated by trained experts employed in the simulation center allowing Health Science faculty to participate as content experts and send learners with confidence for patient care management experiences.
- The simulation center is committed to preparing and supporting AHC faculty in the application of simulation methodologies (including but not limited to standardized patients, human patient simulators, virtual reality technology, and task trainers) to interprofessional education with the goal of improving patient safety and outcomes.
- The simulation center is committed to supporting faculty scholarship as evidenced through publications, abstracts, invited presentations, grant submission and grant funding.
- The simulation center is committed to encourage and support faculty development through active involvement in professional simulation societies and specialty organizations.
- The simulation center will provide learning experiences that encourage positive interprofessional communication and interaction, problem-solving, decision making, and crisis management in a nonthreatening environment.
- The simulation center is committed to preparing competent practitioners with strong patient management and interprofessional communication skills.